2015 Big Apple Film Festival is proud to announce this year's jury, including Dorian Biegay (The Weinstein Company, formerly VP New Line Cinema), Mark Geller (marketing/media executive, previously Fox Searchlight, Picturehouse, Universal Pictures, Paramount), Mohammad Maaty (HBO Production/Development), Simone Barsky (SundanceNow Doc Club, Marketing Manager), James Hirsch (VP, Marketing & Creative SnagFilms / Indiewire), Scott Kaplan (Film Buff, Head of Distribution), Giovanni Alberti (A&E Network, Fuse TV), Gleb Sanchez-Lobashov and Jamie Datz (Pixar Animation Studios).
For complete bios click here: 2015 BAFF Jury
Congratulations to BAFF alumni Alan Cumming (BAFF Golden Apple Award recipient) for his Golden Globe nomination for Best Supporting Actor "The Good Wife" and congrats to BAFF alumni Jay Duplass for his Golden Globe Award winning series "Transparent", as well as the launch of his new HBO series "Togetherness" directed by the Duplass Brothers and starring brother, Mark Duplass. Congratulations to BAFF alumni and award recipient Jesse Eisenberg for the premiere of his new film "The End of the Tour" premiering at the 2015 Sundance Film Festival.
About Big Apple Film Festival
The Big Apple Film Festival takes place annually in the heart of the greatest city in the world.
The BAFF, named one of MovieMaker Magazine's top "25 Film Festivals Worth The Entry Fee" and "One of the 25 Coolest Film Festivals", is dedicated to showcasing and promoting the highest quality films from the New York City independent film community, as well as additional specially selected films from across the country and around the world. Additionally, the festival is proud to honor a variety of New York City based filmmakers, writers, actors and artists who have played an influential role in the growth of independent filmmaking in the Big Apple. Each year BAFF presents awards in a variety of categories including Best Feature Film, Short Film, Documentary, Animation, Experimental, NYC Cityscape Award, Student Film Award, Golden Apple Award, and NY Emerging Talent Award.
Notable honorary guests and award recipients have included:
- Cuba Gooding Jr.
- Jesse Eisenberg
- Morgan Spurlock
- Alan Cumming
- Kevin Corrigan
- Haley Joel Osment,
- Mario Cantone
- Ernie Hudson
- Elias Koteas
- Jerry Stiller,
- Katherine Waterston
- and more...
Notable alumni films include:
- "The Living Wake" starring Jesse Eisenberg, Mike O' Connell and Jim Gaffigan
- "Manhattan Romance" starring Tom O'Brien (Fairhaven), Gaby Hoffmann (Transparent, Wild, Obvious Child, HBO's Girls, Veronica Mars), Katherine Waterston (Inherent Vice), Caitlin Fitzgerald (Masters of Sex)
- "Bread and Butter" starring Lauren Lapkus (Jurassic World, Blended, Key and Peele) and Bobby Moynihan (Saturday Night Live)
- "In the Eye of the Spiral" narrated by Grammy winner Annie Lennox
- "Life of a King" starring Cuba Gooding Jr,
- "Jake Squared" (Freestyle Releasing) starring Elias Koteas, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Virginia Madsen, Jane Seymour, Mike Vogel
- "Breaking Upwards" (IFC Films),
- "Against the Current" (IFC Films),
- "Schmatta: Rags to Riches to Rags" (HBO Documentary Films),
- "Harvest" (Showtime Network)
- "Love, Ludlow" (Warner Home Video, Starz Network, Sundance Channel)
- "The Magic Bracelet" starring JK Simmons (Golden Globe Award Winner), Bailee Madison, James Van Der Beek, written by Diablo Cody
- and many more...
In order to bring the most elite talent to the silver screen, BAFF is proud to partner with a variety of independent film organizations including IFP and MovieMaker Magazine.
BAFF 2014 Year in Review
"The Big Apple Film Festival was a great experience. A true tribute to the spirit of New York City." - Jerry Stiller
"Five best eating and drinking events this weekend" - CBS New York
"I'm absolutely delighted to have learned that the "In the Eye of the Spiral" has won best documentary at the Big Apple Festival." - Grammy Award winner Annie Lennox
"A great New York vibe. You feel the creativity here." - Academy Award winner and Golden Apple Award recipient Cuba Gooding Jr.
"The Big Apple Film Festival plays the films that you hope people will get to see but worry that they won't be able to -- specifically, the ones I have been in." - Academy Award nominee and NY Emerging Talent Award recipient Jesse Eisenberg
"The Big Apple Film Festival is what a film festival should be: Bravo Big Apple!" - Emmy nominee, Golden Globe Nominee, and Golden Apple Award recipient Alan Cumming
"Thanks Big Apple, for helping me introduce 'Kevin' to the world." - director Jay Duplass
"New York City is still the hub of independent film. It's still where the independent spirit lives." - Academy Award nominated director and BAFF Golden Apple Award recipient Morgan Spurlock
"A festival that supports and promotes homegrown talent." - Cinematical.com
"I salute the Big Apple Film Festival for keeping it real" - Independent Spirit Award nominee Kevin Corrigan.
"Apple of the City's Eye."; "You can't get more New York than the Big Apple Film Festival."; and Named one of the top "25 Coolest Festivals" and "top 25 Festivals Worth the Entry Fee" - MovieMaker Magazine
"this film festival celebrates a number of films in all manner of lengths, formats and genres from all around the world" -Time Out New York
Alumni films in the spotlight
- (Freestyle Releasing)
- (Ph.D. Productions, Thisismyproof)
- ("Manhattan Romance"; Beacon Films)
- ("In The Eye of the Spiral"; SpiralH, Arcady Bay Entertainment)
- (Millenium Entertainment)
- (Monterey Media, Showtime Network)
- (Artist View Entertainment)
- (HBO Documentary Films)
- (IFC Films)
- (Bodega Studios, Independent Spirit Award nominee)
- (IFC Films)
- (Mercury Media)
- (Passion River Films)